I do not account my life of any value...

Paul is saying goodbye to the church of Ephesus in Acts 20 - encouraging and exhorting them, warning them, sharing his last bit of Holy Spirit driven knowledge. I couldn't get over verses 22-25::

"And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me. But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. And now, behold, I know that none of you among whom I have gone about proclaiming the kingdom will see my face again."

Bam. Sit on that for a little bit...

Paul knowlingly was going into a situation that he knew would ultimately lead to his death. (to live is Christ and to die is gain! Phil. 1:21) He was constrained, controlled by the Holy Spirit- obedient and ready and willing to go and do what was called of him, because JESUS WAS WORTH IT! He was told that in every city - everywhere he went - persecution awaited him. In light of this truth, He boldly declared that he did NOT account his life of any value or precious to himself. His goal was the glory of God.

Is yours? Is mine?

We are so quick to shy away from "persecution" - we play with the fire of infidelity and impurity because we don't want to look abnormal or ultra religious to our peers. We accept and participate bullying, gossip, slander, impure speech, hate, bitterness because we care more about what people think about us than obeying Jesus Christ. We don't want to be "radical" (which is obedience...)  for the sake of the cross because we may lose popularity, or friendships, or status. How are we so quick to forget how radical Jesus was for our sake? We are so afraid of not being "liked" or "accepted" that we can't stand up for our faith. Why?

This dude left the people he loved, the church he shepherded - knowing he would NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN - to go be persecuted, hated, and eventually killed for his First Love, Jesus Christ. Pauls life, his comfort, his earthly desires...he counted them as NOTHING, as rubbish (Philippians 3) compared to knowing Jesus Christ. He was not precious to himself because Jesus was his ultimate, his prize, his joy, his fulfillment, his satisfaction, his desire...

Oh Jesus, may I, may we, say the same for You. Remind us that You are our First Love and YOU ARE BETTER.

Comments

Popular Posts