Christmas

What is it about anyway?

I wrote a paper in highschool about Christmas, titled "Silent Night" - it was full of the memories and traditions, the hustle and the bustle, the rosy cheeks and chapped lips, the promise of our Savior. I must say, it was a well written piece. As I grow older, however, I begin to view it in a different light.

I have a niece whose a year old. Seeing her unwrap presents and the joy found in a child but a babe, it renews and reignites a joy deep in me as I remember once too being a child. The joy of seeing the tree glow. The joy of unwrapping presents and pulling tissue paper out of bags. The joy of sitting at the table with fancy dishes and enjoying a big meal together. The joy of playing outside, getting cold, running inside to sit by the fire, etc etc. That's "Christmas" Or is it?

Today with our youth we went to an apartment complex we monthly go to and minister to Burmese evacuees who were evicted from their country because of religious beliefs. A lot of them don't speak English. Most of them don't have jobs. They probably won't get a "Christmas" unless someone gives it to them. They don't have much at all, but their joy...their faith...their trust in Christ that has withstood trials...it is unlike any "Christianity" we see here in America. It was a deep, profound, genuine, TRUE faith. It is a hope in their Savior that He provides no matter the cirumstance, no matter what the world says, no matter how others define them. It's Jesus that makes them who they are.

We delivered Christmas presents and fruit/food baskets to them today. We sang Christmas carols and held hands of children who speak a different language than we do. A girl was walking around in this cold weather in old flip flops. I gave her my stupid last minute $10 Rudolph adult slippers and her face shone of gratitude and gratefulness...she will cherish them. A little girl was walking around in a little shirt, shivering and shaking. I gave her my jacket that I wear running because its my "gross one" and her entire body warmed and changed. She was proudly walking around in it. A little girl, who spoke no english, was admiring my Elf bell hat that I pull out once a year. I got it at Dollar Tree years ago. I gave it to her, and you know what? She'll probably wear it year in/year out and savor it and enjoy it in way I never will.

We went to one apartment to drop presents off and they were having a birthday party/dedication for a one year old. They invited us (all 15 of us) in and we sat and worshipped with them. It was incredible and as I sat holding a precious Chin girl in my lap, I cried. These people crammed in this tiny apartment...they feel life. They know love. They recognize faith and they trust their Jesus. In ways we never, ever will. And I am drawn to know Christ deeper because of it.

How great a God we serve. Amen.

Merry Christmas.

Comments

Popular Posts