Rock of Ages, Cleft for me...

The more I seek Christ, the more I see my sin. The more I see the depths of my sin, the more I realize the grandeur of the grace of God and my desperate need for Him.

I've seen that a lot lately. It's been one of those months of the Lord revealing sin after sin, idol after idol, fear after fear- and it's exhausting. It's exhausting because I try so hard to figure this out on my own. I try so hard to do the "right thing", to somehow impress God- and in reality, all I'm doing is offering Him lifeless and temporary offerings and sacrifices, and He's not impressed. I don't experience life or the grace of God in that. It's bondage and it's idolatry.

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise." Psalm 51:17

I've been a follower of Christ for nearly 20 years, and I'm not even close to figuring this "thing" out. And the more I try, the farther I fall, because I am not meant to do this on my own. Ever. It is ONLY and SOLELY by the grace of God that we, as believers, can do this life and do it well. Not a day goes by that I don't need the gospel preached to me. Not a day goes by that I'm not tempted by the lure and enticement of sin and all this world has to offer. "Prone to wonder, Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love." Not a day goes by that these words in Ephesians doesn't slam me over the head.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

This is humbling and sanctifying- and something that every believer experiences as we wait for Christ's return. I yearn to see Him face-to-face, to behold His glory and be forever awed by His majesty. I was sitting here listening to the hymn "Rock of Ages", and I was moved to tears listening and reading the lyrics. This hymn is from the mid 18th century, but it could not ring more true today. 


Rock of Ages

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure

Not the labors of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law's commands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless, look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.





Comments

Popular Posts