He is sweeter.


How sweet all at once it was for me to be rid of those fruitless joys which I had once feared to lose!...You drove them from me, You who are the True, the Sovereign Joy. You drove them from me and took their place,You who are sweeter than all pleasure.
Augustine

I have to daily remind myself of these things. He is better. He is better. He is better. So often I chase the things of this world, believing that somehow they will satisfy a deep longing in me. They won't. They can't. They were never meant to. I was hardwired and designed to give my life for something and Someone much greater than myself and my small world. Romans 1 says men serve and worship the creation, rather than the Creator. When I lean upon the temporary pleasures of this world to satisfy me, or fill some void in me, that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm committing an act of treason before the King of Kings.

How much happier you would be, how much more of you there would be, if the hammer of a higher God could small your small cosmos. 
GK Chesterson

He's not a means to an end. He's the end.

We get God. If that's not enough, then that journey isn't for you. I get God. I get to commune with, converse with, and walk in love with the Creator of the Universe. How incredible is that? How unreal...we say it so easily, but think about it. The very One who created (and sustains) all your cells to perfectly work in your body...the One who created gravity, so this world just doesn't collapse...that same One who created everything out of nothing - that awesome, incredible God. He wants me. He sought me out. He bought me. He paid His life for me. He chose me. He made us to bring Himself glory and give us the greatest joy imagineable. It's in a life of worship unto Him that we find the deepest and greatest intimacy and joy. 

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. 
John Piper

He drives away those fruitless joys of this world and replaces them with Himself. He is far better, my friend. He is so much better. C.S. Lewis says, "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." As adopoted sons and daughters, we were not made for this world. We were made for eternity with our Father, our King of Kings, our Lord of Lords, our Maker and Redeemer, our Savior and Friend. While we sojourn in this world, let us praise Him. Let us speak of Him and share Him with the nations. Let us NOT keep this hope within us! Let us walk in joy and walk in life so that the world knows Him.

He is sweeter than all pleasure.

You were created to live for something vastly bigger than you and only grace can make you willing and able. You were hardwired to live for God, so even though you may not be aware of it, every good or bad thing you do today has verticality to it. Remember that every physical, situational, relational glory you'll experience today is meant to point you to the glory of God.
Paul David Tripp

Comments

Popular Posts